Pune, the cultural capital and the second biggest city of state Maharashtra, is very well connected by means of airways, railways and roadways. Travelers from all round the world travel to Pune every year for education and so explore the rich culture and heritage value of the splendid city. Many conduct Pune travel to take pleasure in the various kinds of tourist attractions in and around Pune, such as: forts near Pune, lakes, rivers and dams, resorts, valleys, and the various kinds of hill-stations around the city. How to get in Pune by taking the assistance of any of the modes of transportation is explained below. Just go through them to make your journey enjoyable, fun-filled and happy.
By Airways (Flight):
Pune does not have its civil airport. There is a civil enclave which handled by the Airports Authority of India, located at a distance of approximately 10kms from the city, that is at 'Lohegaon' Air Base of the Indian Air Force. The airport handles both the domestic as well as international flights in a better way. Though the international flights are limited to places like Dubai and Frankfurt, major Indian cities are well-connected to Pune. The airport operates professionally for almost all the domestic flights. For international travelers other than Dubai and Frankfurt, the better option is to take a flight to Mumbai and then to reach Pune by hiring a taxi or a train.
Pune city is well connected to various other domestic airports of Indian cities such as: Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kolkata, Mumbai, Nagpur, Shirdi, etc, by means of well managed airlines like Air India, Air India Express, Go Air, IndiGo, Jagson Airlines, Jet Airways, Kingfisher, Lufthansa (Operated by PrivatAir) and SpiceJet.
However, Pune city is coming up with a brand new international civil airport, that is surely going to look up-to the needs of the international travelers in a nice manner. The probable location of the airport was first supposed of around Talegaon Dabhade and Saswad near Pune. But the new consideration for the airport is Chakan and Rajgurunagar. The State Government has given the responsibility of this airport to Maharashtra Airport Development Company (MADC).
By Railways (Train):
Pune city is well connected by a nice network of railways that connect various other cities and states of the country. The city has two railway stations - Pune station and the Shivaji Nagar railway station. Out of the two, the Pune station serves as the main station of the city, which is used by millions of travelers coming to and from the city. This station serves as a main junction that provide support to the southern side trains that leaves from the Maharashtra state capital - Mumbai,and various other Indian states such as Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan, and as a origin/destination for trains to various north Indian cities and states.
You can hire a pre-paid service for trolleys by doing a good negotiation, to carry your luggage. Besides this, pre-paid porters too prove helpful to you. It is to find out the licensed porters at the Pune railway station, as they wear bright red colored shirt and a metallic band that displays a serial number on the side of their arm.
In all, three national highways (NH) and an expressway serve really well to the passengers to connect to Pune city by means of roadways.
From Mumbai city (state capital)
You can reach to Pune from the Mumbai city (the capital of Maharshatra), by availing the facilities provided by the state government transport (MSRTC) or can avail the facilities provided by the privately managed Volvo A/C buses. Frequency of MSRTC buses is very high and real good; therefore, it is as advised to benefit from the travel services by the government managed MSRTC buses that runs from the Mumbai city to Pune city. These buses run at a short span of every 30 minutes and costs same (Rs 185-Non AC and Rs 320-AC) as the private buses. These buses are punctual and leave at their scheduled time. This is what makes them a hot favorite mode of transportation among the travelers who travel frequently to the Pune city and from far off places in Mumbai. For example, the Volvo facility can be available to reach up-to destinations in Mumbai like:
- Mantralay Pune Station,
- Vashi, etc.
You can also reach to Pune from Dadar, Mumbai by shared cabs and Cool cabs. But, these cabs may charge you more.
- Expressway: Via expressway you will reach to Pune in 3 hours from Mumbai.
From other states of India
National Highways (NH): NH 4, NH 9 and NH 50 serves the travel to Pune city in a well manner and connects to various other destinations located in various other parts of the country.
- NH 4 - NH 4 which runs from Mumbai to Chennai, is a part of the Golden Quadrilateral of highways. It also connects the Pune city to the Bangalore city. By means of this highway, various other places such as: Hadapsar, Khadki, Lonavala, Naraspur, Shirwal, Tolegaon, and Wadgaon and Khandala from Pune district and Satara, Kolhapur and Kagal from rest of the Maharshtra.
- NH 9 - NH 9 runs from Pune city, that is from Maharashtra and runs towards other Indian State Vijaywada in Andhra Pradesh. Besides this, other Indian state like Karnataka too is well connected via this highway. Moreover, it covers various other places such as: Indapur, Solapur, and Umarga from Maharashtra state; Rajeshwar, Homnabad, and Mangalgi from Karnataka state and Kambhargaon, Bhigvan, Ravangaon, Loni Kaibhor, and Theur from Pune district.
- NH 50 - NH 50 runs from Pune city toward Nasik city (Maharashtra). By menas of this highway, various other places like: Sangamner, Narayangaon, and Khed from rest of Maharashtra and Chakan, Rajgurunagar, Malegaon, Mancharo, Kalamb, Narayangaon, and Aleo from Pune district are well connected.
Within Maharashtra state
Pune city has around three bus stations, from where; you can reach up to the rest parts of the Maharashtra state.
- Pune Bus Station: Located next to the Pune Railway Station, this station provides bus service to the Mumbai city.
- Shivaji Nagar Bus Station: The Shivaji Nagar bus station is well placed next to Shivaji Nagar Railway Station and serves buses to parts like Vidarbha, Konkan, Marathwada and Northern Maharshtra. Some buses also serve to the various cities of the Indian state Gujarat. You can reach to various cities of Gujarat like: Ahmedabad, Kandla, Rajkot, Surat, and Vadodara from Pune.
- SwargateBus Station: Located at the center of the Pune city, the Swargate bus station provides service buses to the various places in the Western Maharashtra and cities in Konkan region.
Also read: Accommodation in Pune